As a former Pre-Kindergarten teacher and now stay-at-home mommy of 2 boys and a sweet baby girl, many people ask me how they can be implementing educational concepts in the lives of their young children at home before they enter school. Instead of trying to come up with a quick list of ideas off the top of my head to answer these questions, I have decided to put all of my lessons into this blog. I, along with so many other parents, want to be purposeful at home with my children and make the most of the time I have with them.
I hope that this blog can help, encourage, and inspire you to work with your kiddos and
get involved in the learning process! The benefits will be endless,
and the moments you share together will be priceless! As Dr. Seuss once said,
"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!"

Friday, March 4, 2011

Think Tanks and Think Board!

Before we start with all of our lessons, we need to gather some materials! I decided to get two boxes for the items: one for mommy and one for Sawyer (SJ). To have a little fun, I call the boxes "Mommy's Think Tank" and "SJ's Think Tank". Here is a list of what you need:

Mommy's Think Tank
pens
pencils
colored pencils
scissors (adult pair and child pair)
markers
glue
tape
construction paper
tissue paper
glitter
food coloring
washable paint
watercolors
paintbrushes
pipe cleaners
cotton balls
old magazines
ruler
google eyes
feathers
popsicle sticks
yarn
index cards



SJ's Think Tank
crayons
gluestick
pencils
(depending on your child's age, you can put more of the materials in their box instead of yours)



Don't freak out! You don't need all of these things right away. Just get a few at a time! We will be adding materials to the boxes as we go.

I also decided to make a "Think Board" to display the letter of the week, number of the week, vocabulary words, bible verses, and artwork. I hung it up in Sawyer's room at his eye level so that we can use it in our daily lessons. Here is our board:




Letter of the Week (upper and lowercase) with words that start with that letter and coordinating pictures found in clipart.


Number of the week displayed in written form as well as countable form


Theme of the week


Bible verse of the week (this will usually start with the letter of the week or go along with the theme)


I also bought a portfolio to store all of Sawyer's work.

Feel free to create any kind of board you want. You can use a poster or a cork board like this one (I bought it 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby). Decorate it and make it your own! We will be updating it each week to go along with the themes!

No comments:

Post a Comment