As a former Pre-Kindergarten teacher and now stay-at-home mommy of 2 boys and a sweet baby girl, many people ask me how they can be implementing educational concepts in the lives of their young children at home before they enter school. Instead of trying to come up with a quick list of ideas off the top of my head to answer these questions, I have decided to put all of my lessons into this blog. I, along with so many other parents, want to be purposeful at home with my children and make the most of the time I have with them.
I hope that this blog can help, encourage, and inspire you to work with your kiddos and
get involved in the learning process! The benefits will be endless,
and the moments you share together will be priceless! As Dr. Seuss once said,
"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!"

Monday, June 8, 2015

Mighty Math Monday: Word Problems

Objectives:
* To understand that math equations can be put in word problem terms
* To use reading skills to read each problem
* To use critical thinking skills to determine the answer to each problem
* To differentiate between addition and subtraction word problems
* To use addition and subtraction skills
* To correlate marks/dots with the numbers to help solve the problem

Materials:
* Word Problem Printable (from me :))
* crayons or pencils
* paper
* scissors












Procedure:
* Print out the printable above and cut out each word problem.

* Let your child read (or help them read) the first word problem.  I think it's best to start with an addition problem.

* Help them determine if they will be adding the numbers or subtracting them.

* Demonstrate on paper how to solve the problem by using marks (we used dots) and counting them to add them all together.  Then let your child do it on his/her own paper.















* Continue this process with each problem.  Here is an example of what to do for a subtraction problem:












* Here are my son's finished problems:















* I will be adding more problems soon.  Feel free to create your own and make them appropriate for your child's grade level.  For younger kids, use coins or counters instead of writing marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment