* To read a story aloud
* To use context clues and critical thinking to answer questions about the story
* Book of your choice
* Story Star Wands (if you would like to purchase them)
* 8 Popsicle Sticks
* Story Stars printable from me :)
* Start reading the book. After the first page or two, ask, "Where is the setting of the story?" Tell them that the setting is when and where the story takes place.
* At a pivotal part in the story, ask, "What will happen next?" Have them state their predictions.
* When the entire story is finished, use the remaining five stars and ask each question: "Who was in the story? Who was your favorite character? What was the story about? How did the story end?" Make sure your child is retelling the story correctly and pointing out details. This will check their comprehension.
* Finally ask, "What was your favorite part of the story?" Keep asking these questions when you read to your kiddos! The more questions you ask, the better understanding they will have of the story and the more practice they will get using context clues and critical thinking skills!