* To work with ABAB, ABB, ABC, ABBC, ABCB, etc. patterns
* To understand the flow of the patterns and continue each one
* To create your own patterns
* To recall the names of shapes and the characteristics of each one (# of sides, # of corners, length of sides, etc.)
* Printables from Lory's Page
* Pattern Blocks or Paper Pattern Blocks Printable from Teacher Vision (if needed)
* Scissors (optional)
*Print out the patterns from Lory's Page, making sure the patterns you print are on your child's level. You can cut out each strip or just leave them together like we did.
* Starting with the basic ABAB pattern, have your child say the shape pattern aloud and figure out which shape comes next. They can place the next 2 shapes on the empty spots in each row.
* Continue with each page, ending with the "create your own" patterns. Demonstrate by making one yourself, then allow your child to do the others. Don't forget to make sure your kiddos know the names of the shapes and their characteristics!